Friday, January 16, 2009

A PEBBLE CREATED A WAVE p2

The excuses given for the invasion became more contrived as deaths of Iraqi citizens and our troops continued to mount. All of the excuses became transparent efforts to justify an illegal and unjust war. What could an average citizen in his seventies do to stop the carnage and pillage ? I felt that I had but one choice so I wrote a letter to Mr. Kofi Annan, Secretary-General of the United Nations, and it was delivered on February 18, 2004. I asked if the invasion was legal. I had to fight the tears when I quoted: An unproked missile attack during "shock and awe" on the home of Ali Ismaeel Abbas (aka "little Billy Smith") killed his pregnant mother, step-father and younger brother. The missile blast also tore both arms from the body of the twelve-year-old who was subsequently advised, "No, your arms will not grow back !"

No comments: